Feeds: 5 Prep Time: 5 mins Cook Time: 25 mins
This recipe went over so good last time I had it about a week ago, we decided to have it again.
This time though, I added a couple extras.
Tomato Mascarpone Pasta w/Ground Turkey & Spinach
1lb of Ground Turkey
500 g (18 oz) of your favorite pasta
2 red onions, chopped
5 garlic cloves, crushed
1 Tbsp dried Italian herbs
2 tsp salt
2 cans (400g / 14oz each) canned chopped tomatoes with liquid
140g (5oz) of tomato puree
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
950 ml / 4 cups of boiling water
A few handfuls of fresh basil
250g / 9oz fresh spinach
25-50g / 2-4 Tblsps of butter
3 heaping dessertspoons of mascarpone cheese
- In a large pot, heat olive oil and gently saute your onions until soft.
- Add the garlic and herbs, and saute on a very low heat for a further 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add and cook 1lb of Ground Turkey
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, salt and balsamic vinegar. Cook for 5 minutes, until bubbling.
- Now add the your pasta along with the boiling water. The sauce will be very watery and runny but don’t worry- the pasta will absorb all the excess water as it cooks.
- Bring to the boil, and then simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring often, until the pasta has cooked and the sauce has thickened back up. If it goes too dry, add some more water. It’s hard to say how much you’ll need because some pasta brands are thicker than others.
- Now add the spinach, basil and butter, and stir over a low heat until it’s cooked down.
- Finally, stir in the mascarpone until melted. You should have a deliciously thick, creamy sauce.
A couple extras I added to mine was the ground turkey and I also added arugula. And for one last extra zing I added chopped sundried tomatoes.