There are days like today when the weather just isn’t cooperating, and I am craving some Crispy BBQ Chicken! You know the kind that’s so Crispy straight off the grill?
Well here is a recipe I found that does just that….. IN YOUR OVEN!
This recipe is so super easy and Oh Em Gee AMAZING!!! My little guy just can’t get enough of it, and neither can my fiancé!
“Finger Lickin’ Goooood!”
It does take a bit of time and you must be attentive, but it is totally worth it!
It’s important to follow the “Every 10 Min” instructions, cause that’s where the magic happens!!
Pick out your FAVORITE BBQ sauce too!!! We use Sweet Baby Ray’s: Hickory & Brown Sugar.
The “rub” gives this chicken a POW of flavor. So letting it sit and soak up the flavors of the rub mix is a must. If I’m in a hurry I let it sit at least 15 mins. But 30 is optimal.
Using the cooling racks on the cookie sheet are part of the magic as well! It allows for your chicken to get crispy all around, rather than just one side. And also makes it easy to flip every 10 mins because it doesn’t stick!
I suggest using a silicone brush for the application of BBQ Sauce. It brushes just the right amount of sauce. Not to much and not to little. Just the right amount! And seeing you will be doing this in layers the silicone rolls right over the previous application allowing it to layer just right.
The recipe calls for 4lbs of chicken drumsticks, about 12. But you can change it up to meet you needs for your family. I’ve used this recipe for chicken wings (so it didn’t take as long to cook). It was awesome! And today I’m using 2lbs of chicken drumsticks (6 drumsticks total), so the bigger the chicken the longer the cooking.
- 4 lb chicken drumsticks (about 12)
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 cups bbq sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Thoroughly pat chicken dry with a paper towel.
- In a small bowl, mix together spices (all ingredients but chicken and bbq sauce)
- Coat chicken in dry rub, let sit 30 minutes to overnight.
- Add chicken to oven on a cooling rack sitting atop a baking sheet. ( I cover the baking sheet with tin foil for easy clean up!)
- Let chicken bake about 40 minutes before adding bbq sauce- until skin is crispy and fat has started to render. Flip chicken drumsticks every 10 minutes to ensure it crisps evenly on all sides.
- With a silicone brush, lightly brush chicken with bbq sauce, flipping its side each time you add another coat of sauce, about every 10 minutes until sauce is used up (about 30 minutes.)
- When chicken is ready, turn on broiler and broil for two minutes on each side to give a little extra crunch to chicken skin.
- Serve immediately.
Give it a try! And let me know what you think in the comments!!!